With more than hundred wineries spread across our hilly peninsula, Istrian wine universe is vast and ever expanding, slowly conquering international palates with Istrian Malvazija, Teran, Muscat of Momjan and Borgonja – native grape varieties we Istrians are very proud of. However, visiting Istrian wineries for a newcomer is not so easy!
Even locals admit they are spoilt for choice and often find it difficult to put up a reasonable wine tasting itinerary allowing them to experience (and learn!) as much as possible in a single day. Add to this a wish that wines you’ll taste more or less match your drinking preferences and things will get even more complicated.
That’s why five years ago I thought how a curious epicurean traveler would rave about wine tours in Istria that would:
• give preference to small, family owned wineries.
• have a certified sommelier as guide.
• offer tasting of at least three wines in each winery.
• take care of choosing the best Istrian taverns for lunch, serving only local and seasonal food. Or, if weather allows, put up a picnic in vineyard.
• organize for you pick-up/drop-off anywhere in Istria county (and organize transfer from Rijeka and surroundings for a small additional fee)
• educate clients about history and styles of winemaking in Istria, indigenous grape varieties, different soils and microclimates and basics of pairing with signature Istrian traditional dishes
Therefore, if you are a wine enthusiast eager to meet Istrian winemakers in person and taste their hand crafted wines take a look at Wine Itineraries I offer: